Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Stylish Scientists: Siyu

'Stylish Scientists' is a weekly series that brings you an exclusive peek at women in science and their style.  
The motto of the 'Stylish Scientist' is: "Always look chic while making a discovery!"
stylish scientists, new york university research, nyu stylish scientists, nyu scientists, siyu from nyu, science and style, science and fashion, chic scientists, zebra pants

Meet Siyu - our first stylish scientist from New York University! It was so nice to visit NYU labs and be just a bit (or maybe much) envious about their amazing location next to Washington Square park. Siyu is doing her Master's in Science degree at NYU while simultaneously applying to Ph.D. programs (good luck!) Siyu's sunny personality catalyzed our mutual admiration, and we shared so many smiles while shooting these pictures. Siyu is such a natural model with a unique sense of style. And she is so excited about science that she was ready to do experiments during the photo shoot!
Certainly I can say one thing: NYU's scientists must be really stylish if they are anything like Siyu. Let's talk more!

stylish scientists, new york university research, nyu stylish scientists, nyu scientists, siyu from nyu, science and style, science and fashion, chic scientists, zebra pants

At what stage of science education are you?
Master’s of Science

Tell us about your research, your inspiration and motivation in science
I am working on epigenetic regulation in fission yeast. My current project is focusing on a specific centromere histone H3 variant CENPA, studying its abnormal expression phenotypes, effects and mechanisms involved. According to me, science is an area where I can apply my creative ideas, critical thinking, and intelligent hands to work in my field of interest.

Your earliest fashion memory
My dad was working in the cloth industry and he went abroad frequently for trade fairs. He always brought back a lot of fashion clothes from overseas. Additionally, I watched a lot of fashion shows on TV with the leading of his preference.
stylish scientists, new york university research, nyu stylish scientists, nyu scientists, siyu from nyu, science and style, science and fashion, chic scientists, zebra pants

Who influenced your style?
I can hardly name one person who influenced my style, since I am changing my style everyday. If I have to say someone, then it should be my mood. I have been in love with hip-hop style since I was really young. I thought it was cool and special. Not everyone in school, especially girls, liked to look like a street boy. But that’s me - I like to be different and unique.

How did the places where you lived influence your style choices?
Korean and Japanese styles are very popular in my hometown.

Has your style changed after moving to NYC?
Of cause, I love the street style and hip-hop. NYC is the most developed and fashionable city in the world. It gave me more freedom in creating my own style.
stylish scientists, new york university research, nyu stylish scientists, nyu scientists, siyu from nyu, science and style, science and fashion, chic scientists, zebra pants

Your favorite brands and places to shop
I shop a lot in Century 21, and Soho sometimes.

What do you think about dressing nicely while doing experiments?
It can make me feel more confident about everything

Any thoughts about how the general public perceives scientists and their appearance?
Sloppy dressing, they don’t care about fashion, and stay in lab all day long.

What are your favorite things to do/see in NYC?
Walking on the street to find the most impressive styles; hanging out with my friends: Karaoke, card games; Sports: volleyball, basketball, although I am not good at it, LOL.
stylish scientists, new york university research, nyu stylish scientists, nyu scientists, siyu from nyu, science and style, science and fashion, chic scientists, zebra pants
Pictures are taken by me

No comments:

Post a Comment