Friday, March 8, 2013

A touch of embroidery

Wondering about my next post I randomly discovered this new amazing shoes/handbag collection by Caroline Issa for L.K. Bennett. First of all: I absolutely adore shoes (and how can you not love those cute pompoms?)! But I got excited about it mostly because this beautiful collection reminds me of our traditional Ukrainian clothes.



When I learned that inspiration for this collection came from Thailand - I was surprised.You can understand why when you look at the picture below. Both pictures show a very geometric pattern of embroidery and even the color scheme is similar. This makes me think (the scientist in me) that there's something about geometry and mountains: both of these come from people inhabiting mountain regions (right picture is Ukrainian embroidery, left picture is Thai). I started looking into other brands that are inspired by Thai embroidery, and I discovered this really beautiful brand called Thu Thu. I love how traditional embroidery is incorporated into their clothing, giving it a nice touch and not overwhelming each piece. Enjoy a couple of pictures below from Thu Thu F/W 2013 collection called "Unnatural nature". Now I have to catch up on Ukrainian brands that feature traditional elements - I think it's such an amazing way of looking modern yet remembering your roots and ancestry! I'll keep you posted on this ;)






Image credits: LKBennett.com, Style Bubble, my own (Ukrainian embroidery)

No comments:

Post a Comment